Disclaimer

The author of this blog is a complete nut-case and should not be taken any more seriously than a broken shoe hanging on the friendly neighbourhood truck's bumper. Any reference to person(s) real or imaginary is because of a multi-dimensional specie of super intelligent mice and therefore not his fault.

Sunday, April 8, 2007

Kaun jayega dilli kii galian chodd ke....

I believe Ghalib said so. For any unfortunate non-hindi speaker this translates to "Who would leave the lanes of Delhi?". Delhi is special. I grew up here I went to college here and I love it here. Horrible summers, nasty jaats and a rabidly hypocritical punjabbi culture included. All these little.. erm well not so little come to think of it but anyhow. All these (not-so) little things make it what it is. What brought on this weird sense of admission you ask? I'll tell you. After all that's why I typed the rhetoric!

It was my father's and a cousin's birthday today so we went to CP today to celebrate. There we roamed around till 8 in the evening then settled down in one of the many coffee bars for a nice cup of overpriced coffee. From there we went to UCH for dinner and had a splendid meal. A most enjoyable evening. But nothing that should have moved me as much as it did. So I started thinking. What is it? After a while of solid thinking and a plate of penne in arrabiata, I finally zeroed in on the reason. Perhas because of the large group with me, the outing reminded me of all the trips to CP we made in college and I could recall a story for every nook and cranny in CP.



The countless trips to UCH, Pizza Hut, Kake di Hatti, The sneaking off of Vicky and Azeez for the Shankar market chola bhatooras and our eating exhorbiantly priced food, going to DV8 with the gang and lighting up Gudang Garams, Having Tequila shots taking the lead from T, The mad dash for the saunf at all the restaurants and pocketing of the pouches and asking for second helpings.....

I was talking to Bobby a few days back and we started discussing Delhi and thus CP and it appeared that even though he is outside and I am here, CP as I knew it is perhaps as far away to me as it is for Bobby. Sure all the buildings are the same, but they are all personal now. All of them now have a bit of me and I have a bit of them in me.

To go on a similar nostalgic trip, watch this video by Rabbi Shergil...



PS: I'm not his agent :P

3 comments:

richa said...

When u feel u have a little bit of u in every place ...That means ur soul has grown...

Icarus said...

Couldn't have said it better. I would have written something but I fear it would have lead back onto 'roads'...understandably so !!1

Anonymous said...

excellent. i was in CP on frday and was thinking of the same things....and actually wanted to write something about it, but now if i did it wud sound like a cheap imitation..so i'll wait till the euphoria over this dies down, then i'll be back ;-)

i love ur blog btw. - Az